It’s a slam dunk for Beccles pupils with visit from pro basketball player
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Budding young sports stars at Beccles Primary Academy had a day to remember when a professional basketball player visited the school.
Joe Ikhinmwin, who plays for the London Lions, impressed the youngsters with his skills in a special event on Wednesday.
During his visit, the British Basketball League player coached the pupils through a range of exercises before talking to them about his career and experiences and showing them his moves.
Among those in the audience was Year 6 pupil Archie Waters, who said he was “excited” to be taking part in the event.
He added: “We’ve been doing exercises and working on our muscles, it was cool.
“It’s good to know how to properly take a shot.”
PE leader Amanda Clarke said everyone had been looking forward to the visit.
- 1 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 2 Joy as Cycle for Life charity ride marks milestone in style
- 3 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 4 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
- 5 Litter problem creating image Suffolk is a 'dirty county', tourism chiefs fear
- 6 Inspirational Emma: “I feel very lucky to be alive”
- 7 Fringe events start in run up to Beccles Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Dinosaur spotted at Beccles Lido as part of Jurassic World film campaign
“The whole school has been so excited,” she said. “It’s really important to have events like this. “By getting someone like Joe in, who is an inspiration, it’s someone for the children to look up to.
“They can see from him what you can achieve if you start young and they’ve got something to aspire to.”
His visit was organised by the Sports for Schools campaign, set up to inspire the next generation of youngsters to take part in sport.
He also led a special assembly with a question and answer session, which pupils had been preparing for.
Mr Ikhinmwin said: “I hope my visit has inspired the kids to be more active and to achieve as much in sports as they can academically.
“I told them about my own experiences and hopefully they will remember this day.”
Is your school organising an event? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.