‘Keep smiling and be positive’ - Receptionist who rose to hotel manager turns 101
- Credit: Archant
A retired hotel manager has celebrated her 101st birthday at a Beccles care home.
Originally from Lowestoft, Joan Gooch marked the milestone on November 4 with a special celebration organised by staff at the White House care home, on Ashman’s Road.
The mother-of-four, who loved to travel and play tennis, began her career as a receptionist at the Imperial Hotel in Lowestoft before progressing to become hotel manager.
At the age of 19, she enjoyed a unique ‘double wedding’ alongside her sister, during which she recalls the vicar nearly mixing up the brides’ names.
Home manager Elena Dolniceanu said: “What a pleasure it was to celebrate Joan’s 101 years.
You may also want to watch:
“We asked Joan for the secret of her long and healthy life and she told us there is no secret, she just worked hard, keeps smiling and is always positive.
“What a wonderful outlook to have.”
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 3 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 7 Police told family of father who died after restraint that he was sleeping
- 8 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 9 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing