‘Keep smiling and be positive’ - Receptionist who rose to hotel manager turns 101
- Credit: Archant
A retired hotel manager has celebrated her 101st birthday at a Beccles care home.
Originally from Lowestoft, Joan Gooch marked the milestone on November 4 with a special celebration organised by staff at the White House care home, on Ashman’s Road.
The mother-of-four, who loved to travel and play tennis, began her career as a receptionist at the Imperial Hotel in Lowestoft before progressing to become hotel manager.
At the age of 19, she enjoyed a unique ‘double wedding’ alongside her sister, during which she recalls the vicar nearly mixing up the brides’ names.
Home manager Elena Dolniceanu said: “What a pleasure it was to celebrate Joan’s 101 years.
You may also want to watch:
“We asked Joan for the secret of her long and healthy life and she told us there is no secret, she just worked hard, keeps smiling and is always positive.
“What a wonderful outlook to have.”
- 1 'We had to take a chance': Bookshop defies the odds and launches in lockdown
- 2 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 3 Collapsed footbridges replaced on popular walking route after six-year battle
- 4 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 5 Six-year-old taken to hospital after lorry collision
- 6 Warning after 'three male youths' break into cars
- 7 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 8 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 9 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 10 Appeal to trace missing man who was last seen in Norwich