‘Keep smiling and be positive’ - Receptionist who rose to hotel manager turns 101
- Credit: Archant
A retired hotel manager has celebrated her 101st birthday at a Beccles care home.
Originally from Lowestoft, Joan Gooch marked the milestone on November 4 with a special celebration organised by staff at the White House care home, on Ashman’s Road.
The mother-of-four, who loved to travel and play tennis, began her career as a receptionist at the Imperial Hotel in Lowestoft before progressing to become hotel manager.
At the age of 19, she enjoyed a unique ‘double wedding’ alongside her sister, during which she recalls the vicar nearly mixing up the brides’ names.
Home manager Elena Dolniceanu said: “What a pleasure it was to celebrate Joan’s 101 years.
You may also want to watch:
“We asked Joan for the secret of her long and healthy life and she told us there is no secret, she just worked hard, keeps smiling and is always positive.
“What a wonderful outlook to have.”
- 1 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 2 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 7 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 New vaccination centre will open to cope with demand across Waveney
- 10 Anger as trees felled on common as part of 'management plan'