‘Keep smiling and be positive’ - Receptionist who rose to hotel manager turns 101
- Credit: Archant
A retired hotel manager has celebrated her 101st birthday at a Beccles care home.
Originally from Lowestoft, Joan Gooch marked the milestone on November 4 with a special celebration organised by staff at the White House care home, on Ashman’s Road.
The mother-of-four, who loved to travel and play tennis, began her career as a receptionist at the Imperial Hotel in Lowestoft before progressing to become hotel manager.
At the age of 19, she enjoyed a unique ‘double wedding’ alongside her sister, during which she recalls the vicar nearly mixing up the brides’ names.
Home manager Elena Dolniceanu said: “What a pleasure it was to celebrate Joan’s 101 years.
You may also want to watch:
“We asked Joan for the secret of her long and healthy life and she told us there is no secret, she just worked hard, keeps smiling and is always positive.
“What a wonderful outlook to have.”
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 3 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 4 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 5 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 6 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 7 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles