Joe's hopes of powering to success
JOE Walton literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders.The 18-year-old from Uggeshall has been chosen to represent Great Britain at this year's power lifting world championships in the Czech Republic later this month.
JOE Walton literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders.
The 18-year-old from Uggeshall has been chosen to represent Great Britain at this year's power lifting world championships in the Czech Republic later this month.
And he is on course to smash all the current UK records, which have been held for two decades.
Joe, who trains at Mike's Gym in Holton, is competing in the bench press, squat and dead lift disciplines and is training intensely in order to peak during the competition.
You may also want to watch:
In the past he has excelled at athletics but decided to take up power lifting to strengthen his skills in shotput.
He is one of 10 athletes from across the country to make up the British team who will be travelling to Pilsen, ready for the beginning of the championships on August 29.
- 1 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 2 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 3 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 4 Town's post office to close within a month
- 5 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 6 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 7 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 8 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 9 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 10 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
“I've won the British Juniors, the national competition and I've had 13 British records so you are chosen to go on the basis of how well you have done and how it is thought you will place,” said Joe.
“At the moment I'm trying to taper down my best performance on the specific day I need it. It's quite an intense process and it gets heavier and harder towards the competition. I'm trying to get my body as fit as I possibly can so that I peak at the right time.
“The records are 20 years old and are held by the man who is the current senior world champion.”
Joe, who is planning to go to university in Bath in October has just finished his A levels at Sir John Leman High School in Beccles and is looking for sponsorship to help send him to the championships.
If you would like to support or sponsor Joe call him on 01502 578413.