Junior Beccles girls football team celebrates triple success
- Credit: Laura Scott
There was triple joy for a youth football girls team last weekend.
It has been a season of success for the Beccles Town FC under 12 girls’ team, who have won the treble.
Over the 2016/2017 year they have claimed the Norfolk Women’s and Girls Football League, the Norfolk FA Youth Cup, and last Sunday they claimed the Suffolk FA Youth Cup with a 3-2 win over Ipswich Valley Rangers.
The team is coached by Teri Rudd with the help of Carl Wright, who both have daughters who play for the team.
Mrs Rudd is one of very few female coaches in football and said that prejudice of women still stands in the game, particularly in coaching.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I’m very passionate about girls football and ladies having a positive role in the game.
“The weekend was massive for us and capped off what has been a fantastic year for the team.
- 1 Cattle farmer who was 'known across the country' dies aged 79
- 2 Family 'truly moved' as crowds remember building company founder
- 3 Six-year-old taken to hospital after lorry collision
- 4 Warning after 'three male youths' break into cars
- 5 Collapsed footbridges replaced on popular walking route after six-year battle
- 6 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 7 Appeal to trace missing man who was last seen in Norwich
- 8 Bridge to be closed overnight with traffic diverted
- 9 'A rare proposition': Construction continues on new development
- 10 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
“Unfortunately I’ve found there is still prejudice of women in the game, I rarely see any other female coaches even when I was doing my badges and the players also seem to get criticised a lot more than the boys.
“But this young group of girls are so determined, tough and deserve everything they get as they work so hard for their success.”
Mrs Rudd started coaching her daughter Lyla’s Waveney Fox Cubs football team four years ago.
Last year they both moved to the Beccles team.
There has been instant success, particularly in the league where they went unbeaten over the course of the season winning 23 games and drawing once.
Between the team, the girls also take part in development football at Norwich Academy, Norfolk ACC and Lowestoft Academy.
Meanwhile, Teri and Carl have also recently started running the North Suffolk Sports under 12 squad which nine girls from the Beccles team are also involved.
Mrs Rudd said: “It has been a fantastic season and we are all so proud of the girls.”
She also wanted to pay tribute to Observatory Opticians in Beccles which sponsor the team.
Do you have any Beccles stories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org