Junior Beccles girls football team celebrates triple success
- Credit: Laura Scott
There was triple joy for a youth football girls team last weekend.
It has been a season of success for the Beccles Town FC under 12 girls’ team, who have won the treble.
Over the 2016/2017 year they have claimed the Norfolk Women’s and Girls Football League, the Norfolk FA Youth Cup, and last Sunday they claimed the Suffolk FA Youth Cup with a 3-2 win over Ipswich Valley Rangers.
The team is coached by Teri Rudd with the help of Carl Wright, who both have daughters who play for the team.
Mrs Rudd is one of very few female coaches in football and said that prejudice of women still stands in the game, particularly in coaching.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I’m very passionate about girls football and ladies having a positive role in the game.
“The weekend was massive for us and capped off what has been a fantastic year for the team.
- 1 Wanted Beccles man arrested in London
- 2 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 3 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 4 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 5 Bell Tower reopens offering panoramic views of Waveney Valley
- 6 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 7 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 8 Vaccine centres offering walk-in jabs across East Suffolk this week
- 9 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 10 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
“Unfortunately I’ve found there is still prejudice of women in the game, I rarely see any other female coaches even when I was doing my badges and the players also seem to get criticised a lot more than the boys.
“But this young group of girls are so determined, tough and deserve everything they get as they work so hard for their success.”
Mrs Rudd started coaching her daughter Lyla’s Waveney Fox Cubs football team four years ago.
Last year they both moved to the Beccles team.
There has been instant success, particularly in the league where they went unbeaten over the course of the season winning 23 games and drawing once.
Between the team, the girls also take part in development football at Norwich Academy, Norfolk ACC and Lowestoft Academy.
Meanwhile, Teri and Carl have also recently started running the North Suffolk Sports under 12 squad which nine girls from the Beccles team are also involved.
Mrs Rudd said: “It has been a fantastic season and we are all so proud of the girls.”
She also wanted to pay tribute to Observatory Opticians in Beccles which sponsor the team.
Do you have any Beccles stories? Email firstname.lastname@example.org