Kit sponsor for Topcroft women’s cricket team
- Credit: Archant
A women’s cricket team who up until now have been playing in a boys strip designed for under 17s have been handed their own kit.
Bungay Area Lions Club have sponsored the Topcroft Cricket Club ladies team, who have made quite an impact on the circuit since they started playing competitively last April.
David Reeder, one of the team coaches said: “The whole squad are delighted, they look far more professional in their kits and extremely smart.
“They designed the kits themselves using a system online. There were so many different options to choose from.
“We had asked for a sponsor and Bungay Lions came forward and asked for some more information, which we provided about what we were trying to do and our issues with not having a kit. We are extremely pleased to have their support.”
You may also want to watch:
In something of a prestige fixture the team took on some of the finest female cricketers from Germany last July.
Despite losing the game by 45 runs to the German All Stars, the group put in a solid performance and enjoyed the opportunity.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 4 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 9 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 10 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
The team, which range in age from 14 to their 50s, was set up in 2013 following interest from mothers, wives and girlfriends of some of the male players.
The women spent a few months playing in an indoor women’s league, but started playing competitively in the outdoor league last spring.
So far they have played six competitive outdoor games and won their first league indoor match in a friendly against Brooke on Sunday.
Topcroft women’s team has 18 members and plays in a league against Winterton, Lowestoft, Martham and Brooke with a mainly 20-20 format.
Dawn Collis from Bungay Area Lions Club said: “The cricket club approached us to help them and as the club has only recently started and a lot of effort has been put into it we thought it was worthwhile to give them our support. It’s also a good way to promote Bungay Lions and hopefully attract new members as our name will be on the players’ shirts.
“Bungay Lions like to help a variety of local causes from organising a Christmas party for the eldery to buying high-visibility tabards for local primary schools, and as mentioned we would really welcome new members.”
Has your group or organisation got a story? Email email@example.com with the details.