Late Beccles doctor was ‘a true gentleman’
- Credit: Archant
A former long-serving doctor at Beccles surgery has died aged 91.
Michael Gilbert cared for patients at the surgery for 30 years, first coming to Beccles in 1958.
He had previously worked as a surgeon at Guy’s Hospital in London, but with two young children, felt a change of pace in Suffolk would better suit his family life.
Dr Gilbert and his wife Anna went on to have three more children and he became a well-known figure in the town.
His daughter Tess Cantan said: “Everybody said he was a true gentleman. He was really old school.
You may also want to watch:
“He would do everything for his patients, he knew all of them, he delivered a lot of them. He really looked after them.
“He was just an old fashioned family GP.”
- 1 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 2 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 7 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 8 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Walk-in vaccine clinics cancelled following influx of bookings
Mrs Cantan said she remembered going to visit some of her father’s elderly patients who lived alone on Christmas Day, with baskets full of treats prepared by her mother.
Dr Gilbert retired in 1988, and although he enjoyed golf, he devoted much of his time for caring for his wife, who had become ill.
“He dedicated his life to looking after her,” said Mrs Cantan. “Dad was always one for putting family first.”
When Mrs Gilbert died in 1997, Dr Gilbert enjoyed travelling and spent more time on the golf course.
He died at Beccles Hospital on April 18 and the funeral will take place at Waveney Crematorium on May 4 at noon.
Family flowers only are requested but donations for Beccles Hospital may be sent c/o Rosedale Funeral Home, 22 Hungate Beccles, Suffolk, NR34 9TT.