Late Beccles doctor was ‘a true gentleman’
- Credit: Archant
A former long-serving doctor at Beccles surgery has died aged 91.
Michael Gilbert cared for patients at the surgery for 30 years, first coming to Beccles in 1958.
He had previously worked as a surgeon at Guy’s Hospital in London, but with two young children, felt a change of pace in Suffolk would better suit his family life.
Dr Gilbert and his wife Anna went on to have three more children and he became a well-known figure in the town.
His daughter Tess Cantan said: “Everybody said he was a true gentleman. He was really old school.
You may also want to watch:
“He would do everything for his patients, he knew all of them, he delivered a lot of them. He really looked after them.
“He was just an old fashioned family GP.”
- 1 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 2 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 3 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 4 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 5 'Increased demand' but waits 'subsiding' at local heating oil company
- 6 Man suffered double jaw fracture in Norwich bar attack
- 7 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge
- 8 Pickup truck, trailer and quad bike stolen from rural property
- 9 Calls to volunteer for St Elizabeth Hospice
- 10 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
Mrs Cantan said she remembered going to visit some of her father’s elderly patients who lived alone on Christmas Day, with baskets full of treats prepared by her mother.
Dr Gilbert retired in 1988, and although he enjoyed golf, he devoted much of his time for caring for his wife, who had become ill.
“He dedicated his life to looking after her,” said Mrs Cantan. “Dad was always one for putting family first.”
When Mrs Gilbert died in 1997, Dr Gilbert enjoyed travelling and spent more time on the golf course.
He died at Beccles Hospital on April 18 and the funeral will take place at Waveney Crematorium on May 4 at noon.
Family flowers only are requested but donations for Beccles Hospital may be sent c/o Rosedale Funeral Home, 22 Hungate Beccles, Suffolk, NR34 9TT.