Loddon company’s role with F1 teams
STAFF at an award-winning engineering company will have more reason than many to be anticipating the start of the 2011 F1 Season – having helped produce key components of at least four of the leading team’s cars.
Mussett Engineering and Composites, which is based in Loddon, has a longstanding reputation in the motorsport world and has this year been helping create parts in metal and carbon fibre for Virgin, Red Bull, Lotus Renault and Team Lotus.
The new F1 season is now just days away and is expected to see the two British drivers Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton again fighting for a place at the top of the leader board.
Founder and managing director of the Mussett Group, Gordon Mussett, said he is looking forward to seeing the cars featuring parts made by his staff in use around the world.
He said: “For a long time, one of the key areas of our work has been automotive, but this year we have produced more for the F1 teams than previously. This is due to our composite facility which gives us the ability to offer a full package to the teams and customers.
“The staff love being involved in projects for such high profile sports, and it creates a huge sense of satisfaction to be able to watch the racing and know that our relatively unknown Norfolk company has played such a part.”
The components created for the F1 cars include everything from suspension, to wings, to critical structural parts made in composite.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 5 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 6 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 9 Quad bike rider in hospital with serious injuries after two-vehicle crash
- 10 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
Mussetts’ composites division also carries out work for Formula 2 and completes historic Formula 1 restoration work.
Mr Mussett said: ‘I am enormously proud of my team of staff. This company has been developed over the last 35 years on superb loyalty, skill and enthusiasm.”
The 2011 F1 season gets under way with the Quantas Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on Sunday, March 27.