Look out for the scarecrows as popular festival returns to Halesworth
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Colourful characters of all shapes and sizes will be lining the streets and shop windows of Halesworth next weekend as the annual Scarecrow Festival kicks off.
Now in its seventh year, local shops and businesses will be vying to produce the most eye-catching and ingenious scarecrow.
The family friendly event begins next Saturday, October 22, and runs until a week later, providing the perfect half term treat for children.
More than 50 scarecrows will be displayed through the Thoroughfare, around the Market Place, in and past the church and back to Angel Link.
And it’s up to the children that take part to decide who will win the award of best scarecrow in town.
You may also want to watch:
During the week there will be a treasure hunt available for children to take part in.
Selected shops will have letters hidden in the windows, which when put together make up words. This year’s theme is fairy tales and all words will be related to the theme.
- 1 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 3 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 4 Thieves steal all-terrain vehicle from coastal property
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 7 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 8 Parishes planning Italian pop-up night in aid of village hall
- 9 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 10 Village pub opens brand new café
Those with all the correct answers will go into a prize draw and the winner will have the honour of switching on the town Christmas lights on Saturday, November 26, plus a £50 cash prize from donations given by local businesses. There will also be prizes for runners up.
Entry forms cost £1 and will be available from Edwards restaurant and the town library, both in the Thoroughfare.
All money raised will go towards the fund for Halesworth’s Christmas lights.
Various businesses will also be offering special deals in conjunction with the treasure hunt, with 50 pence sweet treats available from Edwards, and guess the name of the bear at Just Nice Things.
The Scarecrow Festival is just one of the many community-led events on the town calendar.