Man shows pride for club
- Credit: Nick Butcher
To show his love for his running club, Robert Chenery has got a tattoo of Bungay Black Dog’s mascot.
Standing proud on his right shoulder, the new piece of artwork is a black dog.
The 28-year-old from Wrentham said: “I’ve been a member of the black dogs for four years and run cross country for them.
“I’d been thinking of getting it for a while. But after I won the Bungay Marathon, which was great, I decided to get the tattoo.”
The black dog is a well known figure in Bungay, dating back over 400 years.
You may also want to watch:
On August 4, 1577, as a storm was approaching, the people of the town knelt and prayed for mercy. As they did so, they were visited by a big black hell hound which went to the church and attacked the congregation. Such is the popularity of the legend, it has been incorporated into the town’s coat of arms and sporting clubs.
Mr Chenery, a paediatric nurse, who works at the James Paget Hospital, also recently got a tattoo of the Whole Earth Man v Horse Marathon.
- 1 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 2 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 5 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 6 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 7 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 8 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
“I ran the marathon last month in Wales. You run over 22 miles and race horses. I beat 50 out of 60 horses.
“It was an incredible experience. Running up and down mountains you can’t experience that locally.”
The runner is now hoping other members might follow suit in getting a black dog tattoo.
He said: “I’ve had quite a lot of remarks from members. I’m hoping to start a trend because the black dog lends itself beautifully to be a tattoo.
“I have quite a few tattoos and they all mean something to me.”