Men dare to bare for cancer charity
- Credit: Archant
A group of brave men have put cause before pain after undergoing a charity chest wax.
Mobile beauty therapist Kelly Roberts came up with the idea to raise money for Cancer Research UK after losing her friend to the disease earlier this year.
Miss Roberts, 33, from Bungay said: “In June this year I lost my friend Joanne Hill to breast cancer. We had known each other pretty much as long as I can remember.
“She was diagnosed in 2011. She was fighting this awful illness for four years and was such an inspiration to everyone due to her strength and courage.
“She left behind her husband and her two children who are aged eight and six who are the same as my children.
You may also want to watch:
“So I really wanted to do something to raise money for the cause and I don’t run so was thinking about what to do and came up with the idea of the waxing.”
Miss Roberts carried out the waxing in the Queen’s Head in Earsham last month, raising £600 thanks to the men raising sponsorship and donations on the night.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 3 Hazardous materials scare as 'suspicious package' found at delivery centre
- 4 Man suffers potentially life-threatening injuries in A145 collision
- 5 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 6 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 7 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 8 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 9 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 10 Renowned 'craft brewery' snapped up by trio of beer lovers
The following week she carried out mini facials for £10 with a total of £1,100 going to the charity,
“This year has been tough due to losing other people we knew to this awful illness and also having another friend who was diagnosed with stage three breast cancer but after chemotherapy and being absolutely amazing and staying strong she is well on the road to recovery and all is looking good, which is fantastic news.”
After the success of the event, Miss Roberts is now hoping to come up with other fundraising ideas for the future.
Are you taking part in a charity fundraising event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 712060.