Mendham villagers evacuated after fire
About 40 people were evacuated from their homes in Mendham this afternoon amid fears of an explosion of nearby gas cylinders.Fire crews from Harleston, Stradbroke and Bungay were called to Studio Corner, The Street at 2.
About 40 people were evacuated from their homes in Mendham this afternoon amid fears of an explosion of nearby gas cylinders.
Fire crews from Harleston, Stradbroke and Bungay were called to Studio Corner, The Street at 2.10pm after a garden fire broke out near two large acetylene cylinders.
A cordon of 100m was put in place and residents living within that zone were taken to a nearby church and elderly care home while fire crews assessed the situation.
Firefighters cooled the cylinders and most people were allowed to return to their homes, although at 4pm a 20m cordon remained in place while the final safety checks were being made.
You may also want to watch:
A Suffolk fire service spokesman said the remaining 12 people were expected to be able to return to their homes in Mendham, near Harleston, in the next couple of hours.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 10 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date