Mental health flat plans approved
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build flats in Beccles for people recovering from mental health problems have been approved by planners. Last summer Suffolk Heritage Housing Association's plan to build on land on the corner of Noel's Walk and Pig Lane was accepted by Waveney District Council.
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build flats in Beccles for people recovering from mental health problems have been approved by planners.
Last summer Suffolk Heritage Housing Association's plan to build on land on the corner of Noel's Walk and Pig Lane was accepted by Waveney District Council. It involved a land swap that would have seen the flats replace a playground with the rest of the plot being transformed into a public open space.
But the association decided to abort the proposal and put forward a plan to build on an adjacent plot, which currently houses derelict garages. Development on that land was vehemently opposed by local residents when similar plans were turned down in April 2007 and last January.
Suffolk Heritage said that it had changed its mind because of problems with the land swap that were “insurmountable”.
You may also want to watch:
Local residents protested previously saying they felt the two-storey building would block out the light for surrounding houses, that the area was already over populated and that it would cause problems with traffic congestion and parking. A 200 name petition objecting to the plans was collated.
The plans for the construction of supported move-on accommodation comprising of eight flats were approved at Waveney District Council's development control committee meeting on Wednesday.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field