Mermaid to help fundraising challenge as lido opens for summer
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Beccles Lido will be reopening with a splash as a new fundraising challenge is launched.
It follows the success of a £100,000 campaign last summer to replace the old toilet block with a modern facility for visitors, with donations from residents, local organisations and sponsored events pulling in £32,000 towards the project.
And now the lido team want to raise another £100,000 or more to reline the main pool in time for the 2019 summer season, with local mermaid Lauren Rymer recruited to help with the fundraising drive.
Lido director Shaun Crowley said: “The lido directors again need to demonstrate to major grant funders that the community wants the pool to stay open for many more years to come.
“The toddler pool is looking fantastic now and with Lauren’s help we are launching our 2018 big fundraising campaign – we want to raise another £100,000 or more, which is what it will cost to reline the main pool in time for 2019 summer season.
You may also want to watch:
“The current liner is in a terrible state and we have to do this to secure the future of the pool and to guarantee that we will be open again in 2019. We know it’s another big ask but we think the community is up for the challenge.”
The pool in Puddingmoor will reopen for the summer tomorrow at 7.30am and the toilets are not the only changes made
- 1 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 2 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
- 3 'Greedy' burglars who targeted community facilities in £122,000 crime spree are jailed
- 4 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 5 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 6 Temporary Post Office opens after town centre branch closes
- 7 Anger as trees felled on common as part of 'management plan'
- 8 Man snared by vigilante paedophile hunters avoids jail
- 9 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing man
The area around the pool has been re-paved with grants from Beccles Town Council, councillor Elfrede Brambley Crawshaw, Lovewell Blake, the Tesco Bags of Help initiative and Wren.
The toddler and paddling pools which have proved problematic in recent seasons have also been repaired, refurbished and relined and have already received the approval of mermaid Lauren.
She said: “It’s really hard to find nice pools where mermaids are welcome and I’m super happy to see the improvements that Beccles Lido is making.”
Season tickets go on sale when the pool opens and details of opening times and the other activities on offer will be available.
For more information, to make a donation or to find out about organising a sponsored event, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/NewLiner or contact the lido team on 01502 714911.