Mum gears up for first marathon challenge
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Beccles mum of two will be running her first London Marathon next month raising funds for a children’s cancer charity.
Joanna Andrews has been running as a hobby for several years and is not attached to a running club.
But the 35-year-old is so determined that she has organised her own training plan for the race on April 24 and has been hitting 18 miles on her practice runs.
She said: “Last May I had to apply for the London Marathon, I’d just done the Bungay Half Marathon and I just did it and forgot about it for four months.
“When I got the letter I read over it three or four times thinking ‘does it say that I’m in?’ and when I realised I was I jumped up and down in the kitchen, I was so excited.
You may also want to watch:
“When I had my daughter Bethany I starting running to lose a bit of weight. I did a 10k and I became hooked. I’ve done the 10-mile Turkey Trot and four or five half marathons and I’ve really enjoyed them. It is something that I fit into my life, it keeps me healthy and I feel really good when I’ve done it.”
Mrs Andrews has downloaded an intermediate training plan from the London Marathon website and is using that as a basis for her training.
- 1 Appeal to trace owner after gold ring is found
- 2 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 3 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 4 Town's post office to close within a month
- 5 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 6 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 7 Cyclist attacks car with handlebars and threatens driver
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 10 Merger plans unveiled for four pupil referral unit schools
She said: “Running 18 miles was painful and tough, but I did it. I’m going to keep going and do 20 miles this week.
“I hope to get the marathon done under five hours. I would be really chuffed so I’m just going to go for it.
“I’m doing it for Children with Cancer UK charity because it’s such a great cause and to think of what those children are going through is just horrendous.”
Mrs Andrews will be spending the marathon weekend in London with her family including her husband and two children who will be cheering her on.
To sponsor Mrs Andrews visit www.justgiving.com/Jo-Andrews35