Museum preview new display
PEOPLE are being given the chance of a preview of what could become one of a museum's most popular displays.The five new items are linked to Sir John Leman, a wealthy merchant believed to have been born in Beccles.
PEOPLE are being given the chance of a preview of what could become one of a museum's most popular displays.
The five new items are linked to Sir John Leman, a wealthy merchant believed to have been born in Beccles.
The objects, which include a full- size three-quarter length portrait of Sir John, were recently delivered by the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, where they had been stored.
In his will, Sir John left money to provide free schooling for 48 boys in Beccles in a building on Ballygate, which is now home to the museum.
You may also want to watch:
Although this year's season for the Beccles & District Museum starts on March 28, the doors are being opened for a preview day on Saturday between 11am and 4pm.
The museum, which is run entirely by volunteers, is looking for people to help out with stewarding or behind the scenes.
- 1 'It's pretty awful' - Anger as cannabis waste dumped by beauty spot
- 2 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 Primary school on track to achieving 'good' status according to Ofsted
- 5 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 6 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 7 Revealed - Where Suffolk's recycling waste is shipped to
- 8 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 9 'Human swan' to fly over Suffolk during 3,000-mile UK flight
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
For details, call curator John Brodnibb on 01502 715722 or e-mail email@example.com.