New adopters for Beccles Station
- Credit: Archant
Abellio Greater Anglia is pleased to welcome local residents Brenda and Robert Tungatt, as the new station adopters for Beccles station.
The Abellio Greater Anglia station adopter scheme is in its eleventh year and with approximately 180 volunteers operating at 98 stations, it is one of the largest station adopter schemes in the country.
Brenda and Robert approached the train operator as they were keen to improve the presentation of the station.
Adopters across the region have created inspired schemes to make their stations part of the local community, from art galleries to award winning gardens, the adopters add colour and individuality to otherwise plain buildings and platforms.
Mr Tungatt said: “We moved to Beccles about two and a half years ago and fell in love withthe place, we wanted to do something for the local community and to give something back and it was listening to Graham Elliot’s enthusiasm for the railway and the station that ignited our interest.
You may also want to watch:
“The station is the gateway to the town so it’s important that it makes a good first impression.”
Mrs Tungatt agreed and added: “We’ve got plans to brighten up the platforms with some colourful planting and make it a more welcoming place. We’ve both recently retired from teaching so have time and enthusiasm but also we’re very keen gardeners so can’t wait to get stuck in.”
- 1 Tributes paid to snowdrop expert 'with a twinkle in his eye'
- 2 Wanted Beccles man arrested in London
- 3 Bell Tower reopens offering panoramic views of Waveney Valley
- 4 Disappointment as Norfolk vs Suffolk dwile flonking tournament postponed
- 5 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 6 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 7 Vaccine centres offering walk-in jabs across East Suffolk this week
- 8 Best kept gardens crowned as competition returns
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open