New allotments on the cards
BECCLES could get new allotments on disused land behind Grove Road.The land at the rear of Napier Terrace is legally allotment land, but has become disused scrubland with one allotment on it.
BECCLES could get new allotments on disused land behind Grove Road.
The land at the rear of Napier Terrace is legally allotment land, but has become disused scrubland with one allotment on it. It is owned by Waveney District Council, which is offering to give it to Beccles Town Council to be returned to allotment use. It could make nine small allotments, but first potentially expensive issues of access to the land need to be resolved.
At its meeting this week, the town council decided to express an interest but not to commit itself to any expense. District councillor Graham Elliott is keen on the plan and says he will apply for grants for the work needed.
Jack Walmsley said: “There is a considerable demand for allotments and if we can find a way through this then we will.”
You may also want to watch:
But Michael Adams said: “Waveney District Council have got a cheek, they took the land off us and now they want us to sort it out.”
- 1 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 2 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 3 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 4 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 5 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 6 University joy for Lowestoft Sixth Form students
- 7 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 8 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 9 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 10 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers