New allotments on the cards
BECCLES could get new allotments on disused land behind Grove Road.The land at the rear of Napier Terrace is legally allotment land, but has become disused scrubland with one allotment on it.
BECCLES could get new allotments on disused land behind Grove Road.
The land at the rear of Napier Terrace is legally allotment land, but has become disused scrubland with one allotment on it. It is owned by Waveney District Council, which is offering to give it to Beccles Town Council to be returned to allotment use. It could make nine small allotments, but first potentially expensive issues of access to the land need to be resolved.
At its meeting this week, the town council decided to express an interest but not to commit itself to any expense. District councillor Graham Elliott is keen on the plan and says he will apply for grants for the work needed.
Jack Walmsley said: “There is a considerable demand for allotments and if we can find a way through this then we will.”
You may also want to watch:
But Michael Adams said: “Waveney District Council have got a cheek, they took the land off us and now they want us to sort it out.”
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 7 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk