New Bungay reeve backs plans to start youth choir
- Credit: Archant
Plans are being drawn up to establish a youth choir for Bungay – with the 2015 summer festival targeted for its debut appearance.
Jason Collins, conductor of the Bungay Choral Society, is the man behind the idea, and the new town reeve Terry Reeve has agreed to make it the focus of his appeal for his year of office.
The youth choir would compliment the choral society which has been established for 125 years, along with the newer choirs in the town - the Bungay Community Choir and the Angelic Voices choir.
Mr Reeve said: “I think it is an excellent project to take on – just the sort of thing I was looking for, involving young people, and something that will prove an asset to Bungay hopefully for years to come.
“Music and singing is a great thing for young people to be involved in, they are great levellers, and there is a lot of musical talent in the town and surrounding area, already being nurtured by Bungay High School through the efforts of head of music Frances Drew-Batty, and the Fisher Youth Theatre Group. A youth choir will be a natural extension to that, and an opportunity for those who want to develop their singing further.”
The choir would be aimed at people aged 13 to 18 and Mr Collins has already had interest from six youngsters. A minimum of 12 singers would be needed to make the choir viable, but Mr Collins hopes to attract 25 to 30 people. However in order to set up the choir, around £5,750 would need to be raised.
Mr Reeve said: “I hope to have a number of fundraising events during the year, but Jason and I are also looking for any donations from groups or individuals to help towards the target. A project such as this does need money up front as soon as possible for set-up costs.”
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 3 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 4 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 5 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 6 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 7 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 8 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 9 Quad bike rider in hospital with serious injuries after two-vehicle crash
- 10 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
Mr Collins added: “It is fabulous that Terry has taken an immediate interest in wanting to see this youth choir come to fruition. I will do all I can to make this a success for the youngsters as well as the community.”
Anyone who would like to register their interest in being part of the new choir can contact Mr Collins on 07545545718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Anyone making a donation of £25 or more will receive a complementary ticket for the choir’s inaugural concert on July 4. Cheques should be made out to Bungay Town Trust (Town Reeve’s Appeal) and sent to Town Reeve, Terry Reeve, 29 St John’s Road, Bungay, NR35 1DH.