New carnival royalty chosen to represent town
- Credit: Archant
Four new faces have been chosen to represent Beccles as carnival royalty.
Christine Soanes has taken the crown as the town’s new carnival queen, joined by Evie Gregson and Brooke Lay as princesses and Harrison Nichols as this year’s prince.
All four were chosen at a selection afternoon held in Beccles on May 20, and will represent the town for a year, participating in events, fundraisers and taking a starring role in this year’s carnival, due to be staged on August 18 and 19.
Miss Soanes, 35, is taking on the role for a second time, having been queen back in 2015.
The mum of two has chosen to raise funds for the Big Dog Ferry and said her favourite thing about Beccles is the “fantastic community.”
“I wanted to be a Beccles ambassador because I think it is a great opportunity to support the carnival team and to help promote Beccles at various events during my forthcoming year and show people that we still have a fantastic carnival in Beccles which is growing in size again yearly,” she said.
“I wanted to show people that you don’t have to be skinny to be the face of Beccles and it doesn’t matter if you’re a mum you can still do this.
- 1 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
- 2 New Asian restaurant already fully booked a week after opening
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 5 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 6 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 7 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 8 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 9 Former bank could become vets to meet boom in pet ownership
- 10 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
“I am very much looking forward to meeting and talking to lots of new people at all the events I get to attend.”
This year’s princesses are Evie, nine, who attends Albert Pye Primary and Brooke, 11, who attends Sir John Leman High School.
Evie said: “I have always loved watching the carnival with my family and I’ve always wanted to be part of it.”
Brooke added: “I wanted to be picked because I would like to be someone people of my age will look up to. I think it’s such an amazing opportunity to meet new people in Beccles and at other events we attend such are the Lord Mayor’s Procession.”
Both Evie and Brooke have chosen to support Beccles Museum.
Completing the royal line-up is nine-year-old Harrison, who plays football for the Beccles Bees.
He said: “I have grown up in Beccles so I know lots of people so I am looking forward to seeing everyone over the carnival weekend.”
For more information about the carnival weekend visit www.becclescarnival.co.uk