New exhibition planned for opening of Beccles museum
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Beccles Museum is opening its doors for the season just in time for the Easter weekend on March 26.
The 16th century building in Ballygate houses a host of exhibition rooms and a number of temporary displays are planned for the year ahead.
The first one ‘Out of the Ground’ will portray a number of objects unearthed in Beccles and the local area by people in their gardens, on building sites and in various other places. It will include a wide range of objects such as coins and fossils and will launch the same day as the museum reopens on Saturday, March 26, running until June 5.
A first world war exhibition will replace it on June 7 and continue until July 31. It signals the third of five commemorative displays, this time focussing on Beccles in 1916 and the introduction of conscription.
From August 2 to September 4, an exhibition entitled Agincourt to Joan of Arc will be on show in the temporary display room.
You may also want to watch:
Organised by the Beccles Twinning Association, it will mark 38 years of friendship between Beccles and Petit-Couronne. The exhibition will catalogue key events in Beccles and Petit-Couronne during 38 years from 1415 to 1453.
The final exhibition of the year will take place from September 6 to October 30 and will feature children’s clothing through the years organised by Pam Finch.
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 9 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
The launch on Easter Saturday, will begin with a reception from 1pm attended by Waveney district councillor Chris Punt, who has allocated £1,000 from his locality budget towards new carpets. The museum will be open Tuesday to Sunday from 1.45pm to 4.30pm.