New setback for site plans
PLANS for two new gipsy and traveller sites in south Norfolk received a fresh setback yesterday after they were put on hold for a further six weeks.South Norfolk Council's proposals for permanent pitches in Wymondham and Earsham were put on ice earlier this month following the concerns of an independent planning inspector.
PLANS for two new gipsy and traveller sites in south Norfolk received a fresh setback yesterday after they were put on hold for a further six weeks.
South Norfolk Council's proposals for permanent pitches in Wymondham and Earsham were put on ice earlier this month following the concerns of an independent planning inspector.
Fears have been raised about the suitability and deliverability of the district council's gipsy and traveller development plan document (DPD) for sites at Stanfield Road, Wymondham, and Old Harleston Road, Earsham.
The local authority yesterday confirmed that it had extended the suspension of its proposals from three weeks to an extra six weeks as it considers its next step forward.
You may also want to watch:
Officials revealed that they were waiting for the outcome of the general election before making a decision on whether to withdraw its plans for the two eight-pitch sites.
Planning inspector Simon Emerson has asked the council to seek advice from the Health and Safety Executive over its plans near the Goff Petroleum fuel storage depot at Stanfield Road. The council's other proposed site is between a pig farm and scaffolding company at Earsham.
- 1 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 2 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 3 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 1960s music night to raise hospital funds
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Chance to have your say on the next 15 years in Bungay
- 9 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 10 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
Andrew Gregory, director of planning, housing and the built environment, has asked the Planning Inspectorate to suspend the DPD examination until May 24 to allow more time to consider the inspectors concerns.
In a letter to the inspector, Mr Gregory said the withdrawal of the plans would pose financial implications for the council.
“Members are very concerned at the potential timing of a decision with the general election. They would prefer to take a decision with a clearer indication of what national political context policy is likely to be in the near future.”
“The Health and Safety Executive has still not conformed its position with regard to the safety zones for the oil depot at Stanfield Road, Wymondham. It also has not allowed the council to reach an agreed position with Goff Petroleum,” he said.