Nominations sought for annual award in memory of long-serving Lion Ivan Holmes
- Credit: Archant
Nominations are being sought for a special community award which honours the memory of a long-serving Lion.
The Ivan Holmes Community Award was first presented in May 2016 in memory of the late Ivan Holmes, who was a member of the Beccles and District Lions Club for more than 35 years.
A past president and a Melvin Jones Fellowship recipient, Mr Holmes was a key figure within the Beccles community, and the award is now presented annually to commemorate his good work serving the club and the town.
A Beccles Lions spokesman said: “It is seen as a reflection of how Ivan was constantly dedicating his life to serve others and act as an inspirational and motivational legacy, to continue Ivan’s good work within the local community.
“The award is presented to a nominated individual or organisation known to have given extra special help to someone or a group of people, or indeed an organisation within the local community during the last 12 months.”
You may also want to watch:
The award will be presented at the Beccles Lions annual charter dinner, traditionally held in May.
Last year’s winner was Douglas Peck, who was honoured for his involvement over the years with Beccles Carnival and duck race, dog shows, variety shows, the Christmas lights and the town’s popular teddy bears’ picnics. He was also recognised for his work maintaining the town’s war memorial which he prepares every year prior to Remembrance Sunday.
- 1 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 2 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 3 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 4 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 7 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 8 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 9 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 10 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
Speaking last year during the presentation, Mr Holmes’ wife Mandy said: “The intention of this award is to act as an inspirational and motivational legacy, to continue Ivan’s good work.”
The award is open to individuals, organisations or groups of people, and the club is calling for residents to make a nomination for the prestigious accolade.
Nomination forms are available from Beccles Lion Chris Eglington by calling 01502 531044 or emailing email@example.com. All nominations must be received by March 26.
Alternatively you can visit the Beccles Lions Club website at www.beccleslions.org.uk where you can download the form and email it to Mr Eglington.