Leach grabs winner as Bungay hold of battling Thorpe to reach League Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Holders Bungay Town Ladies have made it through to the final of the NWGFL League Cup after a 4-3 win at last season's beaten finalists Thorpe United.
Bungay started strongly and almost scored in the first minute when Emily Leach was put through, but the Thorpe keeper was out quickly to save.
But they didn't have to wait long to open the scoring as Selina Rowland's fine run and cut-back was driven into the net by the incoming Sam Walker.
Soon after Walker battled in midfield for a loose ball and played it to Nicky Hazell, whose excellent driven shot flew over the stranded keeper top make it 2-0.
Emily Leach broke forward onto a through ball and calmly stroked the ball home for a third, but Thorpe were given a lifeline when a clearance from Kelly Collins hit Hannah Jones in the face and rebounded to Thorpe's Rebecca Lake who had an easy job to make it 3-1 at the break.
Thorpe tried to get back into the contest but it was Bungay who created chances for Leach and Walker, who were denied by the keeper. A few minutes later a free-kick for Thorpe caused confusion in the Bungay back line and a Thorpe player capitalised to reduce the arrears and then Thorpe's Shanice Sutton was given room to turn and shoot from 25 yards to make it 3-3.
But to Bungay's credit they re-grouped and after Rowland had an opportunity saved, a good move between Hazell and Leach resulted in Leach sliding the ball home to regain the lead which they comfortably held on to.
- 1 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 2 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 3 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 4 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 7 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 8 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 9 Investigation into fatal aircraft crash continues
- 10 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
In Women's Division One, Wymondham Ladies Reserves were 5-2 winners at Long Stratton while Stalham Town beat visiting North Walsham 2-1.
Bure Valleys Wildcats enjoyed an 8-0 home win over Kirkley & Pakefield in Division Two, while Freethorpe and Gorleston Rangers drew 2-2.
In the women's 7s Cup semi-finals, Hellesdon Belles beat Red Rose 3-0 on penalties after their match finished 2-2, while Morley lost 1-0 at home to Costessey Sports
In an under-12s game, North Walsham beat Beccles 6-0. Alisha put North Walsham ahead and doubled her tally five minutes later before going on to claim her hat-trick. Chloe added a fourth before Alisha and Isla completed the scoring.