Norwich shortlisted as City of Culture
Ben Kendall Norwich is in the running to become the UK's first City of Culture, it was announced today.Culture minister Margaret Hodge announced the final four cities vying for the title in 2013. Support Norwich on FacebookOfficial Norwich 2013 bid website
Norwich is in the running to become the UK's first City of Culture, it was announced today.
Culture minister Margaret Hodge announced the final four cities vying for the title in 2013. They are Birmingham, Derry/Londonderry, Norwich and Sheffield.
They were shortlisted by an independent judging panel, whose recommendations were accepted by secretary of sate Ben Bradshaw. The panel will also make the final recommendation on the winning bid, with that city to be announced in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Hodge said: “Huge congratulations to the four cities in the final running for the 2013 UK City of Culture. It's a testament to their hard work - and dedication to culture - that they've come so far in what has proven to be a very tough competition. I'm really pleased that we attracted such a strong and varied field. It just goes to show the richness of culture across the UK.
“I was very impressed with all fourteen bids and, for those not shortlisted, I would say take heart from what you've achieved and continue to work on creating a cultural offer which can be enjoyed by all and which will help to make your cities even more attractive places in which to live and work”.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Town's post office to close within a month
- 6 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 7 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 8 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 9 Care home bosses welcome proposed roll-out of rapid covid tests
- 10 Brewer Adnams donated £1.4 million to Suffolk good causes
t See tomorrow's newspaper for more on this story.