Oakfired at Royal Oak, in Beccles, wins prestigious award after just three months
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Beccles pizzeria has been recognised for its authentic dishes with a prestigious award and shortlisted for a national prize.
Oakfired at Royal Oak, in Ravensmere, won a PAPA Gold Award in the Best Independent Pizza Restaurant category placing them in the running for overall winner at a ceremony this week.
The Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association (PAPA) recognise excellence and encourage innovation in the Italian food industry within the UK and say they are “impressed” with the Beccles restaurant.
Paul Jackson and Paul Williams opened the pizzeria three months ago after being inspired by the gastronomic delights of Naples during a visit to southern Italy.
“We are thrilled to be recognised by The PAPA Awards”, said Mr Jackson, who also acts as ‘pizzailo’ preparing pizzas in full view of waiting diners at the restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “It is a fantastic achievement for us. Our aim is always to deliver the best we can and to have this recognition is a great boost.
“Our wonderful team use only the finest ingredients and the pizza is made in accordance with the Association of True Neapolitan Pizza’s strict disciplinaire.
- 1 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 3 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 4 Thieves steal all-terrain vehicle from coastal property
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 7 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 8 Parishes planning Italian pop-up night in aid of village hall
- 9 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 10 Village pub opens brand new café
“We are confident Oakfired offer one of the most authentic Neapolitan pizzas this side of Naples.”
Authentic Neapolitan pizza is easily recognised by its raised golden crust, thin base and use of San Marzano tomatoes, Buffalo mozzarella and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Since opening the restaurant has been building a reputation locally for its fantastic food and relaxed atmosphere.
Each pizza is cooked in a huge oak-fired Valoriani oven situated in the centre of the restaurant.
The oven reaches temperatures of 450 degrees Celsius and can cook pizzas in just 90 seconds.
Samantha Day, of PAPA, said: “Oakfired has built a tremendous reputation and the judges’ comments have solidified the hype.
“Paul and the team offer an incredible experience where visitors can enjoy an authentic taste of Italy cooked right before their eyes.”
She added: “The judges were impressed with the authenticity of Oakfired’s Neapolitan pizzas.
“It is places like Oakfired that really up the pizza offering bringing a real authentic pizza experience.”