Official Fairtrade Town launch
THE official launch of Beccles as a Fairtrade Town will take place tomorrow in Exchange Square.The town was awarded Fairtrade status in January after years of campaigning, making it only the third town in Suffolk to achieve the accolade, and to celebrate there will be a fair from 11am to 3pm.
THE official launch of Beccles as a Fairtrade Town will take place tomorrow in Exchange Square.
The town was awarded Fairtrade status in January after years of campaigning, making it only the third town in Suffolk to achieve the accolade, and to celebrate there will be a fair from 11am to 3pm.
To kick things off in the morning Beccles Fairtrade Town Campaign will present the Fairtrade Town certificate to the Mayor, Councillor Jeff Harris, and there will be some short speeches including one from MP Bob Blizzard who has supported Beccles in its Fairtrade campaign.
After the speeches there will be music provided by the Tutti Ceilidh Band, a penny whistle band, and a wind duo from the Sir John Leman High School.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be stalls offering free fair trade hot drinks, juice, biscuits and chocolate, as well as a display of some of the Fairtrade products available in Beccles. The Traidcraft stall that visits Hungate Church on Friday mornings will also be at the fair.
Fairtrade status is awarded by the Fairtrade Foundation when a percentage of shops and catering establishments as well as other businesses offer fairly traded goods to their customers or staff.
- 1 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 2 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 7 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 8 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 9 Stars of Norfolk and Waveney 2021: A look back at last year's winner
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
If the weather does not hold out the fair will be moved to the Town Hall.