Olympic skier inspires pupils with story
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at a Beccles school have been working with British Olympic skier Ellie Koyander to develop their leadership and teamwork skills.
The freestyle skier visited Beccles Free School to share her experiences and achievements as a professional skier, as well as inspiring pupils with advice on overcoming barriers, developing people skills and maintaining a strong determination to achieve.
She also led practical activities to help Year 8 and 9 pupils develop leadership and teamwork skills, and find out the strength and skills required to become an Olympian.
Ms Koyander said: “I was impressed with the talent and brilliant teamwork shown in all the challenges I set and, after working through the six keys to success together, I feel confident that the students will go on to be very successful wherever life takes them.”
Ms Koyander competed in the Europe and North America World Cup, the World Championships and the Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver in 2010 at the age of 18 as the youngest team GB member. After starting out on the slopes at just 18-months-old, she joined the Great British Freestyle Ski team at 16. Her visit was part of the Sky Sports ‘Living for Sport’ project, which encourages world-class athletes to visit schools and share their stories. Ms Koyander worked with pupils from the school’s Sports Leaders enrichment, which aims to help young people develop the skills and confidence needed to be a leader, and will be returning in November.
You may also want to watch:
Tony Baxter, subject leader for PE at Beccles Free School, said: “It was very inspiring for the students to meet an elite athlete and to understand that, no matter what your background, you can achieve great things if you are determined enough.”
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 3 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 4 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 5 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 6 'Magical' Southwold holidays inspire children's author's latest book
- 7 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers
- 8 How to pay your respects to Prince Philip around East Suffolk
- 9 Police called after large fight breaks out in Beccles
- 10 Elections 2021: Suffolk police commissioner candidates published