Organisers get set for second Beccles Triathlon on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
Around 150 people will be taking part in the second Beccles Triathlon on Sunday.
The event involves swimming 18 lengths of Beccles Lido, followed by a 12.63 mile cycle ride through Geldeston, Wainford Maltings at Ditchingham and back to Beccles before finishing with a 4.11 mile run down to Beccles Quay and back across the town marshes.
The event has attracted some of the region’s top athletes as well as local people who are taking part in a triathlon for the first time, but is also a charity event to raise funds to keep Beccles Lido open.
This year the number of spaces have been increased from 110 to 150 to allow more people to take part, and the winning male, female and team will be presented with a trophy handmade by Lido stalwart Graham Norgate.
Isabel Pollock, part of the Beccles Triathlon committee, said: “We get people from far and wide which is great but there is also a real Beccles focus.”
You may also want to watch:
The race will begin at 9am, and Olympian Paul Evans will be presenting the prizes at around 12.30pm.
Spectators are welcome along the route and at the lido, but access will be at the discretion of the marshals once the race is under way. Anyone who would like to watch at the lido needs to arrive at 8.45am before the race begins. There will be no public swimming after the prize giving, which should be finished by 1pm.
- 1 Family of cardiac arrest victim donates defibrillator in mother's memory
- 2 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 3 Public urged to take Covid test if not feeling 100%
- 4 Is this one of the best jobs in Norfolk and Suffolk?
- 5 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 Wanted Waveney man may be in London