Search

Fire rips through bus taking students home from college

PUBLISHED: 08:50 02 November 2018 | UPDATED: 11:39 03 November 2018

The bus that caught fire. Picture: Robert Newell

The bus that caught fire. Picture: Robert Newell

Archant

Passengers had to be evacuated from a bus after it caught fire in Aldeby, near Beccles.

A fire crew from Great Yarmouth and Gorleston attended the blaze in Rectory Road which closed while crews put out the fire.

They remained on the scene checking for hot spots and waiting for recovery.

A fire service spokesman said: “The bus was in service so we believe it will have been a mechanical fault.

“Passengers were off the bus before we arrived on scene and no-one is believed to have been injured.”

It is believed that the bus was taking college students home when one of them alerted the bus driver to smoke.

The bus was stopped and students and the driver evacuated without injury.

Check the traffic before you travel with the EDP Travel Map.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal