‘People can grieve 10 years on’: Funeral home launches new support sessions
- Credit: Archant
A funeral home is offering a number of new sessions to support people who have been bereaved and are struggling with grief.
Rosedale funeral home in Bungay offers free support groups to anyone affected by the death of a loved one, no matter when they died or if they used another funeral home.
"You have to go through the process and you have to allow yourself to do that," said Lucy Coote, who facilitates the support groups.
She said the death of a loved one is one of the most difficult experiences anyone can face, and that the bereaved often struggle with intense emotions leaving them isolated.
For that reason the funeral home is launching three new groups in Beccles, Bungay and Halesworth which are free and open to all.
You may also want to watch:
"The majority of people want to keep the memory of their loved one alive and want it not to be painful to speak about them. It's about processing it.
"I've had people come in through the support group who were bereaved nine or ten years ago, but they never properly processed their grief."
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 5 English teacher's reading app disrupts market
- 6 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 9 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 10 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
Rosedale also holds special sessions on days like Mother's Day and Father's Day.
She added: "The majority of people who come through the support groups have found a level of peace and formed friendships. They have also realised their feeling isn't unusual and other people feel the way they do.
"This time of year is really hard for people, it's dark, Christmas has just gone and it's hard. Holidays, Birthdays, and anniversaries can be especially difficult.
"It can be difficult and lonely when you're bereaved and this is a chance to meet new people, be supported and form friendships."
Halesworth Group starts on ThursdayFebruary 6 from 2-4pm at The Stable Rooms, Angel Hotel, Halesworth. Please call Faith on 01986 875588 to register.
Beccles Group starts on Thursday February 6 from 5.30 - 7pm at The Quaker Meeting House, Smallgate, Beccles, Please call Alison on 01502 714445 to register.
Bungay Group starts Monday February 3 from 5.45-7.15pm at Rosedale Funeral Home, 12a Upper Olland Street, Bungay. Please call Chloe on 01986 892790 to register.