People have waves of fun as lido opens for summer season
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Hundreds of people made their way down to Beccles Lido at the weekend to make sure the official opening went with a splash.
People were queuing from 7.30am on Saturday morning ready to take their first dip of the season, with youngsters turning up later in the day to enjoy hours of fun with friends.
Shaun Crowley, chief executive of the lido, said: “We had a few hundred on Saturday and a few hundred on Sunday it was very steady. We had a big queue of people at 7.30am waiting to get in.”
The first guest to take a dip in Beccles Lido was the newly crowned Miss Beccles – 32-year-old Christine Soanes. The mother of two, who will represent the town at this year’s carnival, took to the water before the opening last Friday, after choosing the lido as her charity for the year.
She said: “I have two children and I think the lido is really good for them as I think it’s important they learn to swim, especially in this area. And it’s a great place for the community because people of all ages can use it.
You may also want to watch:
“I remember when I was younger always coming here and using the lido. And I must have come down here 50 times last year with my children.”
Mr Crowley hopes that the numbers that visited over the weekend will continue on over the next few months.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 7 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 8 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 9 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 10 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
“We’re looking forward to a nice stretch of weather,” he said. “It was a really good kick-off weekend and we hope it will continue.”
The lido will also be the starting point for the third annual Beccles Triathlon on Sunday, with 150 people signed up to take part.
The event will start with 18 lengths of the pool at 8.30am.
The pool will be open from 7am Monday to Friday and 7.30am on weekends. For more information visit www.beccleslido.com