People have waves of fun as lido opens for summer season
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Hundreds of people made their way down to Beccles Lido at the weekend to make sure the official opening went with a splash.
People were queuing from 7.30am on Saturday morning ready to take their first dip of the season, with youngsters turning up later in the day to enjoy hours of fun with friends.
Shaun Crowley, chief executive of the lido, said: “We had a few hundred on Saturday and a few hundred on Sunday it was very steady. We had a big queue of people at 7.30am waiting to get in.”
The first guest to take a dip in Beccles Lido was the newly crowned Miss Beccles – 32-year-old Christine Soanes. The mother of two, who will represent the town at this year’s carnival, took to the water before the opening last Friday, after choosing the lido as her charity for the year.
She said: “I have two children and I think the lido is really good for them as I think it’s important they learn to swim, especially in this area. And it’s a great place for the community because people of all ages can use it.
“I remember when I was younger always coming here and using the lido. And I must have come down here 50 times last year with my children.”
Mr Crowley hopes that the numbers that visited over the weekend will continue on over the next few months.
- 1 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 2 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 3 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
- 4 Joy as Cycle for Life charity ride marks milestone in style
- 5 Litter problem creating image Suffolk is a 'dirty county', tourism chiefs fear
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Fringe events start in run up to Beccles Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 9 Drivers asked to avoid area after two-vehicle crash closes Suffolk road
- 10 Town's popular card shop waves goodbye after five years
“We’re looking forward to a nice stretch of weather,” he said. “It was a really good kick-off weekend and we hope it will continue.”
The lido will also be the starting point for the third annual Beccles Triathlon on Sunday, with 150 people signed up to take part.
The event will start with 18 lengths of the pool at 8.30am.
The pool will be open from 7am Monday to Friday and 7.30am on weekends. For more information visit www.beccleslido.com