Performers prepare for musician and vocalist contest in Beccles
- Credit: Archant
There has been a big response to this year’s Beccles Young Musician and Young Vocalist competitions, and tickets are now available for the event next month.
The competitions will be held at Beccles Public Hall on Sunday, February 12, promoted by the Rotary Club of Beccles.
The aim is to give young musicians the opportunity to perform in a concert hall in front of an audience, to promote confidence and musical expertise.
The Young Musician of the Year competition is now in its third year, while the Young Vocalist of the Year is being presented for the second time.
Seventeen youngsters have signed up for the instrumental section, with competitors aged from eight up to 17. They will be performing on a wide variety of instruments in strings, woodwind and brass.
You may also want to watch:
Daisy Whymark, the winner of the last two years, will be defending her title.
In the vocal section, there are twelve entries who will be performing a variety of genres, from the classical to modern composers and musicals. Several entrants are more experienced older singers.
- 1 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 2 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 3 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 7 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 8 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 9 Youngsters aged 12 to 18 to begin receiving Covid vaccinations
- 10 Devoted doctor, 93, to embark on dancing busk-athon in Lowestoft
This year’s adjudicator is Michael Nicholas, who was choral master at Norwich Cathedral for many years.
The competition was open to pupils from the Waveney area, and those placed first and second from both sections will be able to progress to the Rotary area finals to be held on February 26 at Gresham’s School in Holt.
A club spokesman said: “Rotary always aims to give service to the community and the Beccles club is delighted that this competition is now well established in Beccles, giving encouragement and inspiration to the youngsters who have entered.”
The Beccles Young Vocalist competition is to be held at 2.30pm and the Young Musician competition at 7pm.
Tickets are £6 per session or £10 for the two sessions, available from the Public Hall box office. Children under 12 are free.