Poetic policewoman reads her work
CHILDREN have been given a snapshot of life in the police force, thanks to a self-penned poem and a box of props.PCSO Jackie Adams, of the Halesworth safer neighbourhood team, composed the award-winning verses to demonstrate her role in the town.
CHILDREN have been given a snapshot of life in the police force, thanks to a self-penned poem and a box of props.
PCSO Jackie Adams, of the Halesworth safer neighbourhood team, composed the award-winning verses to demonstrate her role in the town.
With her colleague Sarah Patchett she created a picture book, using photographs they took while out on patrol.
She has been taking A Day in the Life of PCSO Jackie Adams to schools, playgroups and libraries to read to children and this week she took the story to the library.
You may also want to watch:
Props included plastic police hats, toy police cars and knitted policemen and PCSOs which children were encouraged to play with and get involved.
She said: “I walked into a library after work once and saw some children being read to with all sorts of toys and props that were relevant to the story. I thought that it would be a great idea to use somehow for our safer neighbourhood team and quickly got to work with Sarah to put the book together.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 3 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 4 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 5 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 6 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 7 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 8 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 9 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 10 What we know about Prince Philip's funeral at Windsor
“The children really enjoy hearing the poem about what I typically get up do on a day-to-day basis.”
Jackie's poem has earned her an area merit award, which she said she was proud of.
“It was great to receive the award. Interesting, engaging ideas like this are just as important to the role of a safer neighbourhood team as getting out on your usual beat. The reaction from the children has been fantastic and we can't wait to take it to every reception class in the area as well as libraries, Beavers, Rainbows and other organisations.