Woman’s body discovered in the River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman’s body has been discovered in a river in north Suffolk.
Suffolk Police said they were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
Emergency services, including fire crews, the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The one-way residential street leads out of the town towards Gillingham, with many properties backing onto the river.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 2.35pm by a member of the public reporting that they had discovered a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.”
Emergency services left the scene yesterday evening and the police spokesman said an investigation is under way.
- 1 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 2 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 3 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
- 4 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 5 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 6 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 7 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 8 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
A man who was in the area at the time said he had seen a lot of police and ambulance activity in Northgate.
Readers have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.
One person said: “My heart goes out to that poor family,” while another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Another posted: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”