Woman’s body discovered in the River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman’s body has been discovered in a river in north Suffolk.
Suffolk Police said they were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
Emergency services, including fire crews, the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The one-way residential street leads out of the town towards Gillingham, with many properties backing onto the river.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 2.35pm by a member of the public reporting that they had discovered a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.”
Emergency services left the scene yesterday evening and the police spokesman said an investigation is under way.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 8 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 9 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 10 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
A man who was in the area at the time said he had seen a lot of police and ambulance activity in Northgate.
Readers have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.
One person said: “My heart goes out to that poor family,” while another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Another posted: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”