Woman’s body discovered in the River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman’s body has been discovered in a river in north Suffolk.
Suffolk Police said they were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
Emergency services, including fire crews, the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The one-way residential street leads out of the town towards Gillingham, with many properties backing onto the river.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 2.35pm by a member of the public reporting that they had discovered a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.”
Emergency services left the scene yesterday evening and the police spokesman said an investigation is under way.
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 9 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 10 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
A man who was in the area at the time said he had seen a lot of police and ambulance activity in Northgate.
Readers have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.
One person said: “My heart goes out to that poor family,” while another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Another posted: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”