Woman’s body discovered in the River Waveney
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A woman’s body has been discovered in a river in north Suffolk.
Suffolk Police said they were called at 2.35pm yesterday, March 14, by a member of the public who said they had seen a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
Emergency services, including fire crews, the East of England Ambulance Service and coastguard rescue officers, were called to Northgate to assist police.
The one-way residential street leads out of the town towards Gillingham, with many properties backing onto the river.
A Suffolk Police spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 2.35pm by a member of the public reporting that they had discovered a body in the River Waveney at Beccles.
You may also want to watch:
“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.”
Emergency services left the scene yesterday evening and the police spokesman said an investigation is under way.
- 1 Geldeston Locks Inn pub near Beccles temporarily closes due to Covid
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Plot of land near Beccles sells at auction for five times guide price
- 4 Heartbreak as Beccles Ladies miss out on Wembley dream at final hurdle
- 5 West End star set to visit youngsters at Beccles Public Hall
- 6 Wanted Waveney man may be in London
- 7 Man has jaw broken following punch at Latitude Festival
- 8 Honda motorbike stolen during early morning theft in Ellough
- 9 Mortgage brokers win prestigious national award
- 10 Banned motorist admits dangerous driving around town
A man who was in the area at the time said he had seen a lot of police and ambulance activity in Northgate.
Readers have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.
One person said: “My heart goes out to that poor family,” while another said: “So so sad rest in peace darling.”
Another posted: “Such devastating news and so close to home, heart goes out to all involved.”