Pool competition in Beccles in memory of popular player
- Credit: Archant
A pool competition in memory of a popular Denton man is being staged for the fifth year running.
Dennis Warren was a coalman for most of his working life and was a regular sight around the Waveney Valley area making his deliveries.
His favourite hobby was playing pool and Mr Warren was a familiar face at most of the local pool leagues in Beccles, Bungay, Lowestoft and Halesworth, playing over the years for various teams including the Butchers Arms and The Star in Beccles and the The Swan and Horse and Groom in Bungay.
After battling cancer, Mr Warren died in 2010 and his former team mates Neil White and Mike Ling decided to have a pool competition in his honour.
Each year the money raised is given to Mr Warren’s daughter to donate to a charity of her choice.
You may also want to watch:
This year’s competition will be held on Sunday, March 22 from noon at the Butchers Arms. The competition is open to anyone and is a fun event with prize money for the winner and runner up.
Entry costs £5 per person, and each player is also asked to donate a prize to the raffle, with proceeds going into the donation pot.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 8 Why some over 70s get the Covid vaccine before over 80s
- 9 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 10 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
Money raised from previous years has gone towards a bench in the churchyard in Denton, with a further bench planned for the playing field, as well as donating £400 to Cancer Research UK.
The trophy engraving is sponsored by the Beccles and Bungay Pool League, and this year ECS Accountancy and ECS Web Design are offering £20 to any player who makes an eight ball clearance.
Further details are available from Sean on 07771677801.