Postcards to go on display in aid of Pounds for the Porch appeal
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A community fundraiser has stepped forward to help plough some extra pennies into an appeal to support St Michael’s Church in Beccles.
Pounds for the Porch is a campaign being run by the Beccles and Bungay Journal to raise thousands of pounds to restore and conserve the town landmark, working in partnership with the Friends and the church.
And Michael Porter, who with his late wife Sylvia raised £120,000 for the Norfolk Deaf Children’s Society through selling postcards, is joining in with the initiative.
Mr Porter will be holding a display of picture postcards, books and other information at the Friends of St Michael’s coffee morning next Friday, June 10. It takes place from 10am until noon and will be focused on the royal family to coincide with The Queen’s official 90th birthday the following day.
People are invited to view the display and make a donation to Pounds for the Porch.
You may also want to watch:
The stone detailing on the South Porch walls is being lost and £68,000 is needed urgently to prevent the church’s stonework from disappearing for good.
You can play your part by joining the Friends, attending one of the fundraising events, holding your own event, or making a donation.
- 1 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 2 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 3 Town's post office to close within a month
- 4 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 5 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 6 Bridge to close with traffic set to be diverted
- 7 Cyclist attacks car with handlebars and threatens driver
- 8 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 9 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 10 Merger plans unveiled for four pupil referral unit schools
A lunchtime concert is also taking place today at 12.30pm in aid of the appeal. It will feature David Price, retired organist of St John’s Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, who will be giving an organ recital.
Admission is free, but there will be a collection for Pounds for the Porch.
For more information email email@example.com or call 07825871938.