Postcards to go on display in aid of Pounds for the Porch appeal
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A community fundraiser has stepped forward to help plough some extra pennies into an appeal to support St Michael’s Church in Beccles.
Pounds for the Porch is a campaign being run by the Beccles and Bungay Journal to raise thousands of pounds to restore and conserve the town landmark, working in partnership with the Friends and the church.
And Michael Porter, who with his late wife Sylvia raised £120,000 for the Norfolk Deaf Children’s Society through selling postcards, is joining in with the initiative.
Mr Porter will be holding a display of picture postcards, books and other information at the Friends of St Michael’s coffee morning next Friday, June 10. It takes place from 10am until noon and will be focused on the royal family to coincide with The Queen’s official 90th birthday the following day.
People are invited to view the display and make a donation to Pounds for the Porch.
You may also want to watch:
The stone detailing on the South Porch walls is being lost and £68,000 is needed urgently to prevent the church’s stonework from disappearing for good.
You can play your part by joining the Friends, attending one of the fundraising events, holding your own event, or making a donation.
- 1 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 3 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 4 Thieves steal all-terrain vehicle from coastal property
- 5 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 6 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 7 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 8 Parishes planning Italian pop-up night in aid of village hall
- 9 Man makes comments to 18-year-old before kissing her hand in Bungay
- 10 Village pub opens brand new café
A lunchtime concert is also taking place today at 12.30pm in aid of the appeal. It will feature David Price, retired organist of St John’s Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, who will be giving an organ recital.
Admission is free, but there will be a collection for Pounds for the Porch.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07825871938.