Postcards to go on display in aid of Pounds for the Porch appeal
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A community fundraiser has stepped forward to help plough some extra pennies into an appeal to support St Michael’s Church in Beccles.
Pounds for the Porch is a campaign being run by the Beccles and Bungay Journal to raise thousands of pounds to restore and conserve the town landmark, working in partnership with the Friends and the church.
And Michael Porter, who with his late wife Sylvia raised £120,000 for the Norfolk Deaf Children’s Society through selling postcards, is joining in with the initiative.
Mr Porter will be holding a display of picture postcards, books and other information at the Friends of St Michael’s coffee morning next Friday, June 10. It takes place from 10am until noon and will be focused on the royal family to coincide with The Queen’s official 90th birthday the following day.
People are invited to view the display and make a donation to Pounds for the Porch.
You may also want to watch:
The stone detailing on the South Porch walls is being lost and £68,000 is needed urgently to prevent the church’s stonework from disappearing for good.
You can play your part by joining the Friends, attending one of the fundraising events, holding your own event, or making a donation.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 7 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 8 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 9 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 10 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
A lunchtime concert is also taking place today at 12.30pm in aid of the appeal. It will feature David Price, retired organist of St John’s Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, who will be giving an organ recital.
Admission is free, but there will be a collection for Pounds for the Porch.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07825871938.