Search

Postmaster died months after home fire

PUBLISHED: 11:24 08 April 2008 | UPDATED: 07:19 01 August 2010

A RETIRED postmaster died four months after he was rescued from a fire at his home in Halesworth, an inquest has heard.

The injuries suffered by 82-year-old Sidney Hale were not initially thought to be life-threatening, but he developed complications and died on January 8.

A RETIRED postmaster died four months after he was rescued from a fire at his home in Halesworth, an inquest has heard.

The injuries suffered by 82-year-old Sidney Hale were not initially thought to be life-threatening, but he developed complications and died on January 8.

Yesterday's hearing at Lowestoft Magistrates' Court was told that Mr Hale was taken to hospital after being rescued from his semi-detached bungalow, in Uplands Way, on the evening of September 2 last year.

Investigations revealed the fire started in a television set and that the whole of the home was heavily damaged by smoke.

Mr Hale was treated at the James Paget University Hospital, in Gorleston, but later died from bronchial pneumonia and was also suffering from renal failure and heart disease.

Great Suffolk Coroner Dr Peter Dean recorded a verdict that Mr Hale died from complications following smoke-inhalation.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal