Primary school hopes project will get pupils on board with reading
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A primary school has set the wheels in motion for an exciting new plan to inspire its pupils to read.
Ringsfield Primary School hopes to raise in the region of £6,000 to buy and renovate a double decker bus to use as its new library.
It will include work stations, bean bags and story telling areas alongside the bookshelves and be available for pupils to use during lessons and at break time, and the school hopes it will instil a love of reading in the children.
Headteacher Vicky Allen got the idea from visiting a London school with a converted bus as a library.
“The children loved it and I thought it would be fantastic here,” she said. “We felt that it would be such an exciting project to keep the children’s enthusiasm for reading going.
“And what an amazing thing to be able to look back on when they’re older, having learned to read on a bus - we want to create that experience for the children.”
The school has already raised about £1,800 through fundraising events at the school, including a sponsored walk and cake sales, and hopes to have the bus by the end of the year.
- 1 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 2 Joy as Cycle for Life charity ride marks milestone in style
- 3 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 4 Inspirational Emma: “I feel very lucky to be alive”
- 5 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
- 6 Litter problem creating image Suffolk is a 'dirty county', tourism chiefs fear
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Fringe events start in run up to Beccles Food and Drink Festival
- 9 When will the Festival of Suffolk torch relay reach Waveney?
- 10 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
Pauline Midwinter from the school’s Parents and Friends Association, which is working on the project with the school, said: “The parents have been amazing supporting the scheme,
“Reading is the cornerstone of education, if you’ve got a passion for reading you’ll learn your whole life and that’s what we want to inspire in the children.
To support the scheme, visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/ringsfieldPFA2