Primary school hopes project will get pupils on board with reading
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A primary school has set the wheels in motion for an exciting new plan to inspire its pupils to read.
Ringsfield Primary School hopes to raise in the region of £6,000 to buy and renovate a double decker bus to use as its new library.
It will include work stations, bean bags and story telling areas alongside the bookshelves and be available for pupils to use during lessons and at break time, and the school hopes it will instil a love of reading in the children.
Headteacher Vicky Allen got the idea from visiting a London school with a converted bus as a library.
“The children loved it and I thought it would be fantastic here,” she said. “We felt that it would be such an exciting project to keep the children’s enthusiasm for reading going.
You may also want to watch:
“And what an amazing thing to be able to look back on when they’re older, having learned to read on a bus - we want to create that experience for the children.”
The school has already raised about £1,800 through fundraising events at the school, including a sponsored walk and cake sales, and hopes to have the bus by the end of the year.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
Pauline Midwinter from the school’s Parents and Friends Association, which is working on the project with the school, said: “The parents have been amazing supporting the scheme,
“Reading is the cornerstone of education, if you’ve got a passion for reading you’ll learn your whole life and that’s what we want to inspire in the children.
To support the scheme, visit https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/ringsfieldPFA2