Pub and hotel closes
A POPULAR Beccles pub and hotel has been purchased by JD Wetherspoon and has closed for redevelopment. The 16th-century King's Head Hotel went up for sale in December along with five other pubs and hotels in the region after the owner got into financial difficulties.
A POPULAR Beccles pub and hotel has been purchased by JD Wetherspoon and has closed for redevelopment.
The 16th-century King's Head Hotel went up for sale in December along with five other pubs and hotels in the region after the owner got into financial difficulties.
Three companies owned by Suffolk property millionaire Richard Cattermole were placed into the hands of administrators KPMG because of financial liabilities.
The King's Head Hotel is currently boarded up and the outdoor seating has been taken away.
Eddie Gershon, a spokesman for JD Wetherspoon, yesterday confirmed that the company had purchased the site and plans to redevelop it.
He said: “I can confirm the site is now owned by JD Wetherspoon. We hope to start building work in the near future and the site is going to be completely redeveloped. It will reopen as a completely new look pub. We believe it will be an asset to the town.”
- 1 Bungay Garden Market returns in full after two year absence
- 2 Joy as Cycle for Life charity ride marks milestone in style
- 3 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 4 Wine dating back to 1960s discovered hidden at town store
- 5 Litter problem creating image Suffolk is a 'dirty county', tourism chiefs fear
- 6 Inspirational Emma: “I feel very lucky to be alive”
- 7 Fringe events start in run up to Beccles Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Town's walk and talk scheme helps locals connect to the community
- 9 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 10 Dinosaur spotted at Beccles Lido as part of Jurassic World film campaign
Mr Gershon said he could not give a time frame for the refurbishment plans.