Record-breaking summer for popular Beccles Lido
- Credit: Archant
As Beccles Lido closed for the season, its director has announced the popular pool enjoyed its most successful summer ever.
When the outdoor pool shut its doors for the final time this year on Sunday, it had welcomed 46,138 visitors - the highest number since it was taken over from Waveney District Council in 2010.
And the high visitor levels gave a welcome boost for the attraction, which suffered a disappointingly low turnout last year.
Lido director Shaun Crowley puts this year’s success down to the glorious summer weather coinciding with the school holidays.
During one particularly hot day at the end of July 1,219 swimmers passed through the lido’s gates and people had asked the pool if they would stay open for longer.
You may also want to watch:
But lido manager Matt Day said: “It’s a question we get asked many times but the sad truth is, as soon as the schools go back visitor numbers drop right off.
“We need 2,500 visitors a week to breakeven, and last week we had just 1,750.”
- 1 School warning after social media post about girls being approached
- 2 Diversions in place with stretch of A12 to be closed overnight
- 3 Market town assault left victim 'quivering and shaking on the floor'
- 4 Joy as pub prepares to reopen for first time since September
- 5 Assurances over £3m Station Yard project in Southwold
- 6 Woman's virtual head shave in memory of loved ones lost to cancer
- 7 Norfolk lorry drivers clocked for nearly 200 traffic offences in three days
- 8 Former prisoner of war nurse celebrated for her service
- 9 Pakefield Man set for summer showcase
- 10 Search continues for Beccles man missing for five days