Record-breaking summer for popular Beccles Lido
- Credit: Archant
As Beccles Lido closed for the season, its director has announced the popular pool enjoyed its most successful summer ever.
When the outdoor pool shut its doors for the final time this year on Sunday, it had welcomed 46,138 visitors - the highest number since it was taken over from Waveney District Council in 2010.
And the high visitor levels gave a welcome boost for the attraction, which suffered a disappointingly low turnout last year.
Lido director Shaun Crowley puts this year’s success down to the glorious summer weather coinciding with the school holidays.
During one particularly hot day at the end of July 1,219 swimmers passed through the lido’s gates and people had asked the pool if they would stay open for longer.
You may also want to watch:
But lido manager Matt Day said: “It’s a question we get asked many times but the sad truth is, as soon as the schools go back visitor numbers drop right off.
“We need 2,500 visitors a week to breakeven, and last week we had just 1,750.”
- 1 All the events at Beccles Public Hall this autumn
- 2 Beccles' first post-pandemic charity ride is a success
- 3 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 6 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 7 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 8 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 9 Concerns over continued closure of Bungay bridge
- 10 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history