‘The queue is constantly 60 to 70 deep’ - record numbers pour in at Beccles Lido
- Credit: Nick Butcher
As the scorching sunshine shows no sign of letting up, one of the region’s swimming hotspots has been enjoying one of its best ever summers.
Thousands of people have been converging on Beccles Lido to cool off in the sweltering heat, with more than 27,500 making a splash since the open-air pool opened for the season at the end of May.
With the hottest day of the year continually being surpassed, the popular attraction on Puddingmoor has been reaping the rewards - and breaking its own records.
“It’s been absolutely manic,” said Shaun Crowley, chief executive of lido managers Beccles Lido Limited “Yesterday we had more than 1,000 through the gate and from Monday to Wednesday we had nearly 1,000 every day. By the end of today we’ll have had 1,000 again.
“Throughout the season, which started on May Bank Holiday weekend, we’ve had 27,500 through the gate. Usually by this time of year we’ve had 20,000.
You may also want to watch:
“Last week we sold 4,500 portions of chips and 5,500 ice creams. We keep running out of ice creams, so we’ve been calling our suppliers and they’ve run out themselves!
“We’ve had busy times before but I’ve never known it to be so busy, so often - it’s never for weeks and weeks at a time. Those who didn’t know about us before certainly seem to know about us now.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 9 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
The lido, open to the public for the duration of the summer months, has been enjoyed by locals and holidaymakers alike for decades. Since taking the reins in 2010, Beccles Lido Limited has been responsible for the maintenance and running of the pool.
But as the lido experiences its busiest summer yet, visitors desperate for a dip have one thing in particular to contend with - queues.
“It’s one in, one out at the moment and in the middle of the day the queue is constantly 60 to 70 deep,” added Mr Crowley. “The queues are long from about 9am until 3pm and this morning we even had one at 6.55am!
“Some people have been waiting for two hours and everyone always gets in eventually, but I would encourage everyone to get here early to avoid the queues. If you don’t want to queue, get here at 7 to 7.30am.”
Beccles Lido is closed on Saturday, July 28, for a deep clean and swimming gala. Application of sun cream 15-20 minutes before using the pool is encouraged.