Redz team support mother’s triathlon challenge
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A mother from Bungay is set to take on a 70 mile challenge to raise money for Macmillan cancer nurses.
Ginny Snelling, of John Childs Way, is a stylist at Redz hair stylists in Beccles and this summer she will be braving the Iron man UK 70.3 Triathlon in Staffordshire.
Her target was to raise £918 to fund a Macmillan nurse for a week and she has already overtaken her original amount by raising around £1,300.
And now her colleagues are helping her go the extra mile by baking up a storm in aid of the cancer charity.
On Thursday, April 2, the staff at the Redz salons in Beccles and Bungay will be putting on their aprons and competing to see who can raise the most money.
You may also want to watch:
They are inviting people to come along for a tea, coffee and cake to help support Macmillan as well as Miss Snelling.
People don’t need to have an appointment to enjoy the cakes and they do not need to be a client.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
To prepare for the course of running, swimming and cycling Miss Snelling has been training since January for six to seven days a week.
The mother-of-one, who has done smaller triathlon races before, said: “I turn 40 this year and I wanted to mark it. I wanted a challenge and I thought if I wanted to push myself I would do a challenge for a charity.
She added: “It gives me the drive to keep training and do the best I can do. It’s not just doing it for me anymore.”
Miss Snelling, who is a member of the Bungay Black Dog Running Club, is hoping to finish the challenge inside seven hours.
She will be taking part with her boyfriend Dale Shoulding and they will both face a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride and a half marathon of 13.1 miles.
The bake sale fundraiser will see the women cooking a variety of different cakes.
Miss Sneeling said: “All the staff have been really helpful. Everyone is cooking and baking cakes. It’s brilliant.”