Regional award for farmer Richard
HALESWORTH man Richard Symes has triumphed in a regional farming award.Mr Symes, who runs Earlsway Farm, has been chosen as a highly commended finalist in the Natural England awards scheme.
HALESWORTH man Richard Symes has triumphed in a regional farming award.
Mr Symes, who runs Earlsway Farm, has been chosen as a highly commended finalist in the Natural England awards scheme.
Richard has been farming since 1976 and now farms 162 hectares of arable land with areas of grassland, ponds, ancient woodlands, hedgerows and a thriving equestrian centre.
He said: “It was a great surprise and a delight to be selected as a regional finalist. Although I did not win I see this as an opportunity to spread the message about positive farming and conservation. I'm also very keen to encourage people tom come into the countryside and get a better understanding of farmers and farming.”
You may also want to watch:
Nine Future of Farming Award scheme judging panels, made up of Natural England experts together with representatives from the National Farmers Union and the Country Land and Business Association have been busy scrutinising applications from across England.
Peter Grimble from Natural England said: “The panel had a tough job in assessing the three regional finalists, all of whom exemplified the very high standards of land management that are practised and often go unrecognised in the east of England.”
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
- 10 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
Mr Symes will now go forward to represent the region at Natural's England's Future of Farming Awards scheme national award ceremony on November 19.