Regional award for farmer Richard
HALESWORTH man Richard Symes has triumphed in a regional farming award.Mr Symes, who runs Earlsway Farm, has been chosen as a highly commended finalist in the Natural England awards scheme.
HALESWORTH man Richard Symes has triumphed in a regional farming award.
Mr Symes, who runs Earlsway Farm, has been chosen as a highly commended finalist in the Natural England awards scheme.
Richard has been farming since 1976 and now farms 162 hectares of arable land with areas of grassland, ponds, ancient woodlands, hedgerows and a thriving equestrian centre.
He said: “It was a great surprise and a delight to be selected as a regional finalist. Although I did not win I see this as an opportunity to spread the message about positive farming and conservation. I'm also very keen to encourage people tom come into the countryside and get a better understanding of farmers and farming.”
Nine Future of Farming Award scheme judging panels, made up of Natural England experts together with representatives from the National Farmers Union and the Country Land and Business Association have been busy scrutinising applications from across England.
Peter Grimble from Natural England said: “The panel had a tough job in assessing the three regional finalists, all of whom exemplified the very high standards of land management that are practised and often go unrecognised in the east of England.”
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 Vital new community bus service launches to help isolated get out and about
- 3 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 4 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 7 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 8 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 9 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 10 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
Mr Symes will now go forward to represent the region at Natural's England's Future of Farming Awards scheme national award ceremony on November 19.