Rowers from Beccles compete in international regatta
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Rowing Club joined 31 other clubs for the hotly-contested Sudbury international Regatta.
On Saturday, August 5, competitors travelled to Sudbury alongside club chairman, Robin de Vere Green, and committee member and British Rowing official, Jon Bartram.
In the first race of the day at 8.30am, Andrew Todd was victorious by approximately ten lengths after his opponent strayed towards the banks of the River Stour.
In the second race, Rebecca Sillis was unfortunately pipped to the post by her powerful opponent, meaning a loss for Beccles.
After a brief thunder and lightning interlude, resulting in almost as much water in the boats as in the river, Andrew safely negotiated his semi-final and progressed into the final.
You may also want to watch:
As the final reached its closing stages, Andrew was level with his opponent before being ousted along the home straight.
Beccles left Sudbury empty-handed, but returned home having enjoyed a historic event.
For more information about Beccles Rowing Club, click here.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Man was found dead in wooded area after battle with alcoholism, inquest hears
- 5 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 6 Town's post office to close within a month
- 7 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 8 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 9 Man admits voyeurism after filming people in bathrooms with hidden cameras
- 10 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo