Rowers from Beccles compete in international regatta
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Rowing Club joined 31 other clubs for the hotly-contested Sudbury international Regatta.
On Saturday, August 5, competitors travelled to Sudbury alongside club chairman, Robin de Vere Green, and committee member and British Rowing official, Jon Bartram.
In the first race of the day at 8.30am, Andrew Todd was victorious by approximately ten lengths after his opponent strayed towards the banks of the River Stour.
In the second race, Rebecca Sillis was unfortunately pipped to the post by her powerful opponent, meaning a loss for Beccles.
After a brief thunder and lightning interlude, resulting in almost as much water in the boats as in the river, Andrew safely negotiated his semi-final and progressed into the final.
You may also want to watch:
As the final reached its closing stages, Andrew was level with his opponent before being ousted along the home straight.
Beccles left Sudbury empty-handed, but returned home having enjoyed a historic event.
For more information about Beccles Rowing Club, click here.
- 1 Speed checks on A144 near Halesworth just weeks after fatal crash
- 2 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 5 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 6 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 7 New book chronicles one of the most tragic rail collisions in history
- 8 Business grants of up to £25,000 on offer to Covid-hit companies
- 9 50 unmissable nights out in Suffolk
- 10 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham