Rowers from Beccles compete in international regatta
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Rowing Club joined 31 other clubs for the hotly-contested Sudbury international Regatta.
On Saturday, August 5, competitors travelled to Sudbury alongside club chairman, Robin de Vere Green, and committee member and British Rowing official, Jon Bartram.
In the first race of the day at 8.30am, Andrew Todd was victorious by approximately ten lengths after his opponent strayed towards the banks of the River Stour.
In the second race, Rebecca Sillis was unfortunately pipped to the post by her powerful opponent, meaning a loss for Beccles.
After a brief thunder and lightning interlude, resulting in almost as much water in the boats as in the river, Andrew safely negotiated his semi-final and progressed into the final.
You may also want to watch:
As the final reached its closing stages, Andrew was level with his opponent before being ousted along the home straight.
Beccles left Sudbury empty-handed, but returned home having enjoyed a historic event.
For more information about Beccles Rowing Club, click here.
- 1 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 2 Roads to close overnight for roundabout resurfacing
- 3 Man suffers broken leg in serious crash on A12
- 4 New headteacher unveiled for town's high school
- 5 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 6 Air ambulance called after man suffers medical emergency in Bungay
- 7 Cause for optimism in Norfolk as Delta variant Covid cases remain low
- 8 Hunt for man wanted for assaults in Lowestoft
- 9 Town's Pride picnic postponed following restrictions delay
- 10 'Everyone recognises me now' - Plant continues to grow at rapid rate