Santas aim to fly high for children’s charities
- Credit: Archant
It may be months before any thoughts of Santa spring to mind for most of us.
But it’s top of the agenda for UK Parachuting in Beccles which is planning a special event this winter to raise money for local children’s charities.
The organisation is holding a Santa Skydive on December 11, 12 and 13 when people will get the chance to skydive for free on the condition they raise £300 for charity.
Organisers said it would involve a one-way flight, two miles above the east coast before participants jump out of the plane, harnessed to an instructor, and fall at speeds of up to 165 miles per hour.
After the speed ride of about 50 seconds, the instructor deploys the parachute for a peaceful, scenic six-minute ride back to earth. All this, while dressed up as Santa.
You may also want to watch:
Jason Thompson, owner of UK Parachuting in Beccles, said: “Skydiving is a special and exhilarating experience that everyone should try at least once.
“What we are offering with this event is an extra special opportunity to personally challenge yourself but to think of others and how sponsorship funds can help local children.”
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 6 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
Being teamed up with local charities, participants are asked to raise £300 in sponsorship for charity.
Gemma Smith, Suffolk fundraiser for EACH (East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices, said: “This is such a fantastic and fun way to raise funds.
“We hope as many people as possible will don a santa suit and get involved.
“It’s the opportunity of a lifetime and the perfect Christmas gift, which will also bring a huge amount of Christmas cheer to all the children and families we care for.”
For more information and sponsorship packs, contact 01502 476 131 or go to www.UKparachuting.co.uk
Are you taking part in an unusual fundraising event for charity? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01502 712060 to speak to a reporter,