School music teacher in line for top blues award
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A percussion teacher is hoping to drum up as much support as possible after being nominated for a national music award.
Drummer and teacher Craig Bacon, who teaches at Beccles Free School and The Old School Henstead, is up for best drummer at this year’s British Blues Awards, after dedicating decades of his life to the instrument.
Mr Bacon, 41, first picked up a set of drumsticks aged three, on a toy set, before learning to play his first full kit at 10.
He said: “My parents bought me a toy drumkit and I loved it. They thought it would just be a phase but I couldn’t get enough of it.”
Ever since, he has devoted himself to drumming, performing with artists across the world, as well as teaching his trade to future generations.
You may also want to watch:
Now, his past year’s work has earned him his nomination, having worked with acclaimed blues artists the Steve Nimmo Trio, Ben Poole and Robin Bibi.
Mr Bacon said: “The nomination came as a big surprise. My pupils have all been very supportive – they’ve all voted for me, so fingers crossed.”
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Tributes to much-loved mother who 'cared for everyone'
- 3 Former soldier jailed after pointing fake gun at ex-partner
- 4 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 5 Latitude decision will be made by end of the week, boss says
- 6 New policy unveiled for commemorative benches across district
- 7 More walk-in Covid vaccine appointments offered at town pharmacy
- 8 Three women in court charged with drug dealing offences in Bungay
- 9 Walk-in Covid vaccine clinic to be held in town pharmacy
- 10 Two-car crash on A12 causes delays
His teaching career began full time in 2006, when he moved to Saxmundham from his native London. He now teaches both in schools and independently, in his own studio, with pupils ranging between five and 65.
Despite having performed across the world, with stars such as Avril Lavigne, Mr Bacon’s focus remains equally on his teaching.
He said: “Teaching and performing are two different, but equally rewarding, experiences. I get so much out of seeing my pupils advance and hone their skills. It’s such a pleasure.”
For more information, visit www.suffolkdrumteacher.co.uk