Second stage of revamp work begins at Public Hall
- Credit: Archant
A new phase of work is due to begin which will transform Beccles Public Hall.
Starting in August, the work will focus on the foyer and balcony with the aim of opening up both areas to create more space.
Five rows of acrow props, installed as a short-term measure in 2006 to support the balcony, will be removed and replaced by five steel joists.
Hall director, Terry Dentith said: “Once new steels have been installed to support the balcony, work can commence in that area and although the audience capacity will be slightly reduced, the gallery layout will be much improved and more flexible.”
The hall and theatre in Smallgate dates back more than 300 years and is the principal entertainment venue in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Phase one of the £181,000 project started last August and involved stabilising the roof and restoring the outside of the building.
The latest work will see a new layout of the balcony, new fire exit and a 180 degree turn for the stairs.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Lack of information sharing 'could lead to more deaths' after 95-year-old attacked
- 4 Free parking for 30 minutes at 48 car parks
- 5 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 6 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 7 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 8 Illegal puppy farm warning as one in ten plan to buy dog for Christmas
- 9 Actor lands New York big break after overcoming father's death
- 10 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
Mr Dentith said the work was scheduled to start mid August and finish mid September with the balcony being stripped out in July by a team of volunteers prior to the hall closing.
Some £148,000 of the £181,000 needed to undertake the work has already been raised and fundraising is continuing for the remaining £33,000.
To help keep costs down, anyone who has some time to spare in July and can help with the stripping out and removal of the balcony seats, walls and floorboards is asked to get in touch with staff at the hall on 01502 716590.