Second stage of revamp work begins at Public Hall
- Credit: Archant
A new phase of work is due to begin which will transform Beccles Public Hall.
Starting in August, the work will focus on the foyer and balcony with the aim of opening up both areas to create more space.
Five rows of acrow props, installed as a short-term measure in 2006 to support the balcony, will be removed and replaced by five steel joists.
Hall director, Terry Dentith said: “Once new steels have been installed to support the balcony, work can commence in that area and although the audience capacity will be slightly reduced, the gallery layout will be much improved and more flexible.”
The hall and theatre in Smallgate dates back more than 300 years and is the principal entertainment venue in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Phase one of the £181,000 project started last August and involved stabilising the roof and restoring the outside of the building.
The latest work will see a new layout of the balcony, new fire exit and a 180 degree turn for the stairs.
- 1 Man admits possessing hundreds of indecent images of children
- 2 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 3 Almost 1,000 complaints over noisy neighbours in lockdown
- 4 Thieves steal all-terrain vehicle from coastal property
- 5 Town's neighbourhood plan approved after referendum
- 6 A146 closed after crash near Worlingham
- 7 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 8 Sniffer dogs find thousands of illegal cigarettes under manhole cover
- 9 Charity baker set for long-awaited return this weekend
- 10 Village pub opens brand new café
Mr Dentith said the work was scheduled to start mid August and finish mid September with the balcony being stripped out in July by a team of volunteers prior to the hall closing.
Some £148,000 of the £181,000 needed to undertake the work has already been raised and fundraising is continuing for the remaining £33,000.
To help keep costs down, anyone who has some time to spare in July and can help with the stripping out and removal of the balcony seats, walls and floorboards is asked to get in touch with staff at the hall on 01502 716590.