Second stage of revamp work begins at Public Hall
- Credit: Archant
A new phase of work is due to begin which will transform Beccles Public Hall.
Starting in August, the work will focus on the foyer and balcony with the aim of opening up both areas to create more space.
Five rows of acrow props, installed as a short-term measure in 2006 to support the balcony, will be removed and replaced by five steel joists.
Hall director, Terry Dentith said: “Once new steels have been installed to support the balcony, work can commence in that area and although the audience capacity will be slightly reduced, the gallery layout will be much improved and more flexible.”
The hall and theatre in Smallgate dates back more than 300 years and is the principal entertainment venue in the town.
Phase one of the £181,000 project started last August and involved stabilising the roof and restoring the outside of the building.
The latest work will see a new layout of the balcony, new fire exit and a 180 degree turn for the stairs.
- 1 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 2 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 3 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
- 4 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Suffolk care boss warns fuel costs could soon be unsustainable
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 9 Snap survey - Patients ignored health conditions after GP waits
- 10 'A very special place' - New mayor privileged to serve town
Mr Dentith said the work was scheduled to start mid August and finish mid September with the balcony being stripped out in July by a team of volunteers prior to the hall closing.
Some £148,000 of the £181,000 needed to undertake the work has already been raised and fundraising is continuing for the remaining £33,000.
To help keep costs down, anyone who has some time to spare in July and can help with the stripping out and removal of the balcony seats, walls and floorboards is asked to get in touch with staff at the hall on 01502 716590.