Slimmers raise more than £22,000 for charity by donating old clothes
- Credit: Archant
Generous slimmers across Waveney and Great Yarmouth have raised £22,850 for charity by donating clothes that are now too big for them.
Slimming World groups in the area donated 914 bags of clothes, shoes and accessories as part of the Big Slimming World Clothes Throw.
The bags will be donated to Cancer Research UK shops in the area as part of a national fundraising drive, with the weight-loss organisation also aiming to raise awareness of how keeping a healthy weight can reduce the risk of developing some types of cancer.
Each of the filled bags is worth around £25 to the charity.
Liz Sunderland who runs two Slimming World groups in Worlingham, said: “I can’t quite believe how many bags we managed to collect as a team – I knew our members were amazing but I didn’t expect such an incredible level of effort.
You may also want to watch:
“It was almost like a purple sea of bags in our groups! Collecting them up to take to local Cancer Research UK shops was a real workout in itself but all so worth it. To raise such a phenomenal amount for a charity that does so much to beat cancer, feels amazing.”
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 3 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 4 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 5 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 6 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash