Snow and ice forces school closures across Beccles, Bungay, Halesworth and Loddon
- Credit: Archant © 2013
Snow and ice has caused many schools across the Waveney Valley to be closed today.
A number in both Suffolk and Norfolk have been closed, however there have been some able to welcome students.
Those closed are:
Alburgh With Denton CE VC Primary School - Heavy snow and hazardous driving conditions
Barnby and North Cove CP School
You may also want to watch:
Bungay High School - Sixth Form Centre open for exams only
Bungay Primary School, Bungay
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 Former pub and restaurant could become six-bed home
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 Latitude boss 'super confident' about 2021 events going ahead
- 5 Coronavirus case rates in Suffolk continue to fall below national average
- 6 'Everyone knew' Suffolk journalist David Lennard in the towns he covered during long career
- 7 Tributes to 'much loved' council worker as dustcart leads funeral cortège
- 8 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 9 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
Brooke VC CE Primary School - Risk assessment of staff travelling from distances across county make it unsafe for journeying.
Dragonflies Children’s Centre , Halesworth
Edgar Sewter CP School, Halesworth
Earsham CE VA Primary School - Member of staff that clears the grounds, making them safe for pupils and staff is unable to get to school due to severe weather conditions.
Ellingham CE VC Primary School - Many apologies. Hopefully we’ll open Tuesday.
Gillingham St Michael’s CE Primary School - We are extremely sorry to close today but heavy snowfall has meant access to the school is very hazardous.
Langley School - School closed, although public examinations will run as scheduled. Pupils to check school email accounts for today’s work.
Loddon Infant & Nursery School - school will be open from 10am to allow extra time for staff to travel safely. Sorry for continuing disruption.
Ringsfield CEVCP School
Rockland St. Mary Primary School - is closed today due to further snow making travel for pupils and staff unsafe travelling to and from school on snow and icy roads.
Seething & Mundham Primary School - Very sorry to close at the last minute but we tried very hard to open and will try again tomorrow.
Sir John Leman High School, Beccles – Only open for exams
Thurlton Primary School - Overnight snow and fog, creating dangerous conditions for travel today.
Thurton CE VC Primary School - Conditions very poor. Will try to open on Tuesday.
Refuse collections and some street cleansing has been cancelled in Waveney today.
Residents are advised to still put bins out for collection and the council’s collection teams will try to collect them as soon as possible.
However this will now be Tuesday at the earliest and, given the backlog from Friday’s cancellation, may even be later in the week.
To enable teams to collect refuse/recycling as soon as possible, green waste collections will not take place this week.
A council spokesman said: “Once again, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by events beyond our control.”