Southwold Arts Festival forced to cancel summer event
- Credit: SARAH LUCY BROWN
Southwold Arts Festival has announced because of the ongoing Covid restrictions and the uncertainty surrounding when audiences can return to theatres that this year’s festival is to be postponed for the second year running.
The annual seaside festival was to have taken place at the end of June centred around the Southwold Arts Centre at St Edmunds Hall, mixing theatre, music, books and talks.
The line-up was to have included performances by jazz singer Clare Teal and The Blues Band.
Festival director Lin Le Versha said: “It is with regret that the planning group has decided that the 2021 Arts Festival will not take place in June 2021 as originally planned.
“Our volunteer committee, responsible for planning and staging the Arts Festival since 2014, have reached the conclusion that with the uncertainty over the coming months and the timing of the Festival within days of the planned lifting of all restrictions on June 21, that the festival should be cancelled.
You may also want to watch:
“This has been an extremely difficult decision to take but we cannot afford to run our programme with socially distanced rules, and we cannot guarantee that these will be completely lifted in June.”
It is hoped that some events will be run during the autumn and winter and the Festival will return from June 25 to July 3, 2022.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 3 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 7 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 8 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021